Question About Improving Pudgy Pie Makers

Chuck D

Hi,

When camping our family likes to use pudgy pie makers for many campfire meals and deserts. My newer cast iron pudgy pie makers are very rough inside and I was wondering if anyone has used a grinder to smooth rough cast iron? I have a Dremel tool... any thoughts on sandpaper disks, grinding stones etc?

I know they are inexpensive so I could just experiment but hey, if anyone can help out you might save me some time.

Thanks.

I think you are talking about what we PA call Mountain Pie Makers. Two cast iron sides to it, each big enough for a slice of bread. They are hinged together, and are on fairly long handles. If thats what youre talking about, then I would say you can probably sand it smooth with the dremel, or hand sanding.....I just use mine all the time in warm cookout months, and they season just like a skillet basically .They sell them at places like Wal Mart, but the good ones that ive found come from an outdoor sporting goods store, or an Army Surplus Dealer. Hope this helps ya out.....what is a Pudgy Pie? Will you explain please?

Ive always heard them called pudgy pies too. I have 4 irons that the inside was as rough as the outside. I sanded them smooth on the inside with a small air sander. I seasoned them like little skillets. Then every time you use them you are basically seasoning them again with all of the butter you put on the bread.

My wife’s girlscout troop uses them. There isn’t a lot that hasn’t been cooked in them.... pancakes, eggs, hamburgers, pizzas with biscuit crusts. You name it they have probably tried it.

Yep... same as the Mountain Pie Maker. As I was first introduced to them the pudgy pie was two slices of bread filled with canned fruit pie filling of your choice. As Greg mentioned we make breakfast pies, hot ham and cheese, pizza pies, you name it.

I really don't like the cast aluminum Teflon coated ones because I've heard a lot about how overheating Teflon releases toxic chemicals in the food. I'll definitely try the dremel with some sanding disks.

Funny story. At a camp I volunteer for we have 50 to 60 kids making desert pies in the evening and we once had a kid bring back one of the aluminum pie makers that he got so hot it was deformed beyond use! needless to say the pie inside was little more than a carbonized biscut:eek: We keep that one around as an example to kids about how not to cook their pies!

Thanks for clarifying that for me. In PA ( at least where im from ), we use a precooked burger, pizza sauce, cheese, ect....they are good!

Back