Cleaning Chrome Plated Pans

Hey Can anyone tell me, I picked up 5 more skillets this weekend and 2 of them have a partial chrome finish or best I can tell at the moment as they are in the lye tank getting the black crude off the bottom and sides. Can this skillet and chicken fryer with the chrome finish still be put in an E-Tank? Thanks

Mike

Did some reading on The Garage Journal and they were saying electrolysis will strip off the chrome but not the nickle plating under it. So no electrolysis for them lol.....

It is unlikely that intact chrome (or nickel) will be affected by electrolysis as typically used in cleaning. The intentional removal of plating requires both high temperature and acidity, neither of which apply in that case. Plating loosened by rust insinuated between it and the iron may well detach, however.

I second Doug's response. I have restored many skillets with either complete or partial plating using a 10amp charger. I have never seen a loss of intact plating.

Well maybe I'll try one of them later this week, I was originally asking as I figured the bottom on the inside the finish would be gone. Thanks for your guys input much appreciated....

Well that is new info on electrolysis and plating. I have a 10/2 charger and have only used lye on the nichol/chrome plate. I also have a 6 amp charger that runs steady at 3 for most of my pans. Next plated skillet I get I will try.

Back