Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   Show & Tell (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Today's Finds (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2741)

Dan Farmer 10-07-2015 06:57 PM

Today's Finds

I drove about 300 miles RT today. Most of that distance was to hit a rural antique mall that turned out to be closed today! So, I drove another 30 miles to the next nearest one, and that turned out to be a bust (did point out a badly faked Griswold popover pan to the proprietor, though, who thanked me for it). On the drive back home, I made one more stop where I found this:

At $35, it was a bit more than I wanted to pay, but it is in excellent condition, and at least I didn't make the trip for nothing.

Oh, and as I posted to another thread, I also found this Crescent waffle maker
Image I really love the styling on that one! Doesn't need to be a Griswold to be cool!

Dan Farmer 10-08-2015 01:33 PM

Re: Today's Finds

Well, today turned out to be my lucky day, I guess. A friend that is aware of my passion for CI called me from a thrift shop, saying there were "two of the cutest little cast iron pans. One of them says "Erie, PA" on the bottom". $6.99 for a small logo Griswold #3! She also grabbed the other #3 for me... not sure yet who made it but it has a hammered finish and the numbers "83" at 6 o'clock.

But... when she called and said "thrift store", I assumed she meant the nearby Goodwill, so I started driving up there as soon as I got off the phone. Turned out she was in a different store, but I decided to check out the Goodwill anyway. Guess what?

Oh, and I also picked up a #8 3-notch Lodge as a yard sale for $2 this morning.

KevM 10-08-2015 03:23 PM

the hammered pan sounds like a Chicago hardware foundry.

Dan Farmer 10-08-2015 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevM (Post 15423)
the hammered pan sounds like a Chicago hardware foundry.

It does, indeed! (this one isn't plated, but otherwise looks like that)

Sharon Shuman 10-08-2015 10:43 PM

Well, Dan, if we ever made it as far away as Minnesota, I would sure like to go shopping with you--you are really on a roll. I think the trivets out of Griswold Dutch ovens were going for $25.00 many years ago! When the dust is removed, I bet you'll have lots of fun cooking in that nice pan!

Dan Farmer 10-08-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharon Shuman (Post 15443)
Well, Dan, if we ever made it as far away as Minnesota, I would sure like to go shopping with you--you are really on a roll. I think the trivets out of Griswold Dutch ovens were going for $25.00 many years ago! When the dust is removed, I bet you'll have lots of fun cooking in that nice pan!

Seriously??? The trivet alone was worth what I paid for the whole shebang? I'm shocked!

I also think that it is a very cool design. I love the concentric rings on the lid, as well as the overall profile of the lid. They did a very nice job of designing this one.

Dan Farmer 10-10-2015 05:22 PM

Early rise this morning for an 1 1/2 drive to a flea market. Turned out to be quite small. One guy set up rather late, after I had already been all through once. I immediately spotted a small stack of CI, and went right over and started to check them out. The smaller ones were not interesting to me, but then I came to one that I thought might be a Favorite or some other early pan. I turned it over and look what I saw!

Price tag was $20 but I got it for $15. Well, actually, I got another, unmarked oldie both for $20 from the guy.

And then I spotted this... any idea what this might be, or might be worth? I paid him the $10 that he was asking.

Also scored a #8 small logo Griswold for $15 and a few other pieces. Good day, all in all!

Bonnie Scott 10-10-2015 07:14 PM

I like the arc Wagner. Those are hard to find not warped or pitted. Yours looks to be in really nice condition. :icon_thumbsup:

Dan Farmer 10-10-2015 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scott (Post 15510)
I like the arc Wagner. Those are hard to find not warped or pitted. Yours looks to be in really nice condition. :icon_thumbsup:

That's good to hear! I could hardly believe my eyes when I turned it over and saw that. To me, at least, it was like finding a museum piece that I had only seen in a book. Same with my Erie skillet, but that one was badly pitted.

Bonnie Scott 10-11-2015 09:11 AM

Dan, I found this one last week for $15.

http://i.imgur.com/eNqGSJH.jpg