• If a web search for the answer to your cast iron cookware question has brought you directly to this forum, the information you seek may be covered in one of the many reference topics featured on the main website.

Quick Links: · Main Website · How to Identify Unmarked Pans · All About Cleaning & Seasoning · Reproductions & Counterfeits · Commonly-Used Terms

• Threads in this Recipe File forum should begin with an actual, typed (by you) recipe including ingredients, quantities, and detailed instructions.
    If a recipe copied from another source, credit should be given to that source. Readers may feel free to reply with comments or ask questions about the recipe in the thread. If viewing a recipe makes you think of one you wish to share, please start a new thread with it. Requests for recipes or for cooking help, and postings about other cooking subjects should be made in the Cooking In Cast Iron forum.

Pan Seared, Wild Caught, Alaskan Sockeye Salmon..

CDLaine

Sometimes easier is better. The real reason behind sharing this is the inclusion of a killer recipe for Garlic butter I found on the net (see link below) . But, the Salmon.... easy.

I am not a Chef.

Salmon...

pat completely dry, season with salt and pepper, pre-heat the cast iron (high) with Extra Virgin olive oil... as soon as it starts to bubble (smoke) turn down to medium, place filet skin side down, press with spatula x 2 min. , cook (without messing with it) for 10 minutes... use 2 spatula to lift and flip...if skin sticks (at all) wait a couple more minutes and try again. Season the skin side (salt&Pepper).... will only take about 2 minutes on this side. Check temp with instant read thermometer...I wanted to pull at 135 degrees..but it blew right past that ! But, don't want higher than 140 degrees (dry). Transfer to paper towel to absorb oil. Plate it...place the fresh garlic butter on and let it melt. I served with chilled Cabernet. As seen in the photo, the filet separated completely from the skin. Bride says, "restaurant quality". :cool:

Even limited culinary skill sets like me can do these perfectly. The cast iron just wiped out to clean.

Charles
http://imgur.com/a/hOGvk

recipes...
....deadly Garlic butter.... :glutton:
(please try !)...http://allrecipes.com/recipe/36925/garlic-butter/

....perfect pan seared Salmon technique....
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/how-to-cook-salmon-pan-fry-fish-food-lab.html

Thanks for posting that Charles, I do like salmon and cook it from time to time. The garlic butter recipe I'll have to give that a try. I do a garlic butter but a bit different and simple but I'll try that too and then maybe mix and match both later.

I do mine just with heads of oven roasted garlic in olive oil mixed with real butter but it's been sometime since I've made it. Just one of those things you can add anything of your liking to it.

Sounds good Steven.... one of the beauties of the garlic butter recipe (from the website) is the leftovers... we had about 7 pats ..2-3 tbls. each that we froze separately. Next up... sauteed shrimp in garlic butter. :)

Charles

Charles I usually make a pound or so and keep it in the fridge in a small Tupperware bowl. It's great on French bread out of the oven, steak, roasted broccoli or any veggies you like.

I'll have to make some more of it, it's been awhile. I've added parsley or Dill and and other things in the past. I'll have think a bit and remember what all I've put in it and used it on.

Thanks Steven....good recommendations. As this was the maiden voyage with this recipe I stuck to the recipe ...but, next batch gets the super - sized treatment. :D

Charles

Back