Dutch Oven Storing

I got a Dutch Oven from my grandmother and it was lightly rusted. I cleaned it and re-seasoned it.

Was curious as I will use it but not a ton. When storing in the kitchen do I store it with the lid on or off? Didn't want to find it one day with rust in between them.

Mike

You can store it with the lid on but cut some straws or something and use them as spacers so there's an air gap between the lid in the pot. I use 3/16 vacuum hose

ive used folded pieces of paper towel, which not only provide padding/spacing, but also act as a wick for moisture. Recently I have ordered a bunch of the Lodge pot protectors, come in bags of 6, theyre little rubber horseshoe looking pieces that slide over the edge of he rim of the pot and the lid sits on top, cheap and easy, and look nicer than folded paper towels.

I just put the lid on off center.....like its on, but with an air gap on one end....works for me.

ive used folded pieces of paper towel, which not only provide padding/spacing, but also act as a wick for moisture.

I was worried about putting paper towels in there as they could hold moisture and I might not find out till I see rust. I like the idea about ordering the lodge protectors.

IMHO, in my experience, with a good seasoning, cast iron has never rusted on me in storage in a climate controlled home. I've even stored pieces in the garage and never had problems with rust. Just make sure to put it away dry. If you're really worried about rust, buy some food/pharmaceutical (USP) grade beeswax to coat the piece in, it'll never go rancid and will never "travel". Plus it's completely safe to eat so you don't even have to clean it off before use, if you get the white bleached (UV/oxygen) beeswax it doesn't have any taste.

I don't use my oven that much so I just turn the Dutch oven upside down and store it on the oven rack with the lid on the lower rack.

Back