etank battery charger

TonyR

I looked and there's tons of different ones out there. I'm lost on this.
Anyone have a suggestion of an appropriate battery charger to use for an etank?

From everything I've read, you just want one that will do a 10 amp charge as the lower the amperage, the longer it takes. No special bells or whistles needed. I even saw where one guy used the power supply out of a computer to do his eTank.

From everything I've read, you just want one that will do a 10 amp charge as the lower the amperage, the longer it takes. No special bells or whistles needed. I even saw where one guy used the power supply out of a computer to do his eTank.

That would be me... It's running right now actually, just put the old waffle iron platters in. One of these days, I have to check the amperage draw. Been over a year, same power supply, cost me nothing. Have a dozen others kicking around if this one dies.

Yes indeed. Newer computers would choke on a power supply less than 500W. Might as well put them to use. The one I saw was on YouTube, was that you then?

Yes indeed. Newer computers would choke on a power supply less than 500W. Might as well put them to use. The one I saw was on YouTube, was that you then?

No, I don't do youtube. But if you want instructions to give it a try, let me know.

Will do, I have one set up like the youtube guy but I haven't tested it yet. If I plug it in and let out the magic smoke, I'll hit you up. Thanks

Kevin, I'm glad somebody finally mentioned it needs to be manual. The last time I shopped for one the manual was hard to find, seemed they were all automatic.

Hilditch

Kevin, I'm glad somebody finally mentioned it needs to be manual. The last time I shopped for one the manual was hard to find, seemed they were all automatic.

Hilditch

Good point. The Century 87151 that I mentioned is a manual charger, although I believe they are no longer made. But Craigslist or pawn shops are a possibility.

I tried a small, $30 battery charger as well as a power supply but, due to the size of my stainless e tank, neither worked well. Bought a big manual Schumacher at WalMart & that solved my problem. Electrolyte churns like a Jacuzzi :chuckle:

I tried a small, $30 battery charger as well as a power supply but, due to the size of my stainless e tank, neither worked well. Bought a big manual Schumacher at WalMart & that solved my problem. Electrolyte churns like a Jacuzzi :chuckle:
It has a manual mode? May I ask what it ran you?

It has a manual mode? May I ask what it ran you?

It's manual only, Dan. I can give you the model # when I get home from work tomorrow morning if you want. It's a big one, comes with wheels. My little $30 charger worked OK for a while but the way it was cycling I figured it wouldn't last long.
Keep in mind, my e tank is stainless steel, 18" diameter & about 3/16" thick with about 28 gallons of electrolyte so it needs a lot of current to make it work efficiently. Especially so in that I have a Dutch oven/flat bottom kettle fetish so I really need the juice to drive it when cleaning bigger iron. Someone with a smaller capacity, plastic tank might not need as big a charger.
BTW, I noticed no appreciable increase in my electric bill when running it. I often leave it running 13 hours straight when I go to work, check iron when I get home, then run it longer if needed.

It's manual only, Dan. I can give you the model # when I get home from work tomorrow morning if you want. It's a big one, comes with wheels. My little $30 charger worked OK for a while but the way it was cycling I figured it wouldn't last long.
Keep in mind, my e tank is stainless steel, 18" diameter & about 3/16" thick with about 28 gallons of electrolyte so it needs a lot of current to make it work efficiently. Especially so in that I have a Dutch oven/flat bottom kettle fetish so I really need the juice to drive it when cleaning bigger iron. Someone with a smaller capacity, plastic tank might not need as big a charger.
BTW, I noticed no appreciable increase in my electric bill when running it. I often leave it running 13 hours straight when I go to work, check iron when I get home, then run it longer if needed.

I have a plastic tank with ss plates covering 80%,I don't have any at bottom,I haven't clean those plates nor change on a YEAR working 24/7 sometimes same skillet for a week until I have a chance to pull it out,I have 10amp charger and is pulling 6 amp,since I set it up to today,

I have a plastic tank with ss plates covering 80%,I don't have any at bottom,I haven't clean those plates nor change on a YEAR working 24/7 sometimes same skillet for a week until I have a chance to pull it out,I have 10amp charger and is pulling 6 amp,since I set it up to today,

My charger is a Schumacher 1520 XL. It has 2 amp slow charge, 20A rapid charge, 55A boost & 150A engine start settings. I usually run it at the 20A setting but can go at the 55A setting if I'm in a hurry. The beauty of it being that I don't have to run it 24/7 to get my iron clean. My e tank is a beast, a search of this forum should lead to pix & description of it.
Hope this helps :wine:

My charger is a Schumacher 1520 XL. It has 2 amp slow charge, 20A rapid charge, 55A boost & 150A engine start settings. I usually run it at the 20A setting but can go at the 55A setting if I'm in a hurry. The beauty of it being that I don't have to run it 24/7 to get my iron clean. My e tank is a beast, a search of this forum should lead to pix & description of it.
Hope this helps :wine:

link

Back