Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   New Collector's Corner (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Replacement bail for DO (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2505)

Travis G. 08-20-2015 11:48 PM

Replacement bail for DO

Hello all. What are your thoughts on the subject? Searched a plethora of places and didn't find a lot of info. Do you use round stock? Or just some kind of thick wire? Is there somewhere I can pick up the ones with the wrapped wire handles?
Thanks for any and all info.
Travis.

W. Hilditch 08-21-2015 12:28 AM

Re: Replacement bail for DO

1st I'd check HD. I think I've seen 1/8" steel rod there in 3' pieces.

Next, Lodge sells Dutch ovens with both the bail and spiral bail. They do not list parts on their site, but a phone call could be worthwhile. Start with; "I NEED help." and you might get lucky.

Flea & Yard.

Hilditch

BenjaminO 08-21-2015 03:08 AM

Are you looking for one to match a particular size/model? I see a lot of dutch ovens with fatal cracks but usable bails. Maybe one of us forum users has just the bail you are looking for.
Benjamin

JMoss 08-21-2015 04:07 PM

Travis G.
I go to a flea market in Winnie, TX every month. It is held the weekend prior to the second Monday of the month. There is a vendor there that sells nothing but new cast iron cookware and accessories. I believe I saw a display of replacement bails there.

Unfortunately I have no contact information for the vendor but I will be there again on the wekend of 9/12-9/13/15. I'll try to remember to ask about the bails and get the contact info.

Don't hesitate to send me a PM reminding me a day or two before.

At least one of the CIC members is a blacksmith but I don't rember his name. I do remember him posting about making a new bail for a DO he had bought. Maybe he will see this and contact you.

Good luck with your search.

Shawn R 08-21-2015 09:19 PM

I've seen replacement bails on ebay. The picture shows several, I don't know if you have to buy a pack of several or if it's just a display of what they offer.

I made my own bail for an 11 in gate marked dutch oven. I got a piece of round stock at Home depot. It works great.

Travis G. 08-24-2015 11:32 AM

Thanks all -

I'll probably just pick up some round stock and make something that works until something that's right crosses my path. I think it's a 5 qt unmarked Wagner with the glass lid. I'll see if I can get a pic of my collection of users posted.

https://goo.gl/photos/oBz7Ky2F28BFSTom6

MDFraley 08-25-2015 07:53 AM

The tomato plant protective wire cages make a great handle. Since they are round and graduated the arc is already made for you. A couple of cuts with a hefty cutter and a touch up with a file or grinder and they look as good if not better than the originals. Be sure to get the heavy gauge wire and not the cheep stuff.
Good luck

Serge_G 09-13-2015 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis G. (Post 13465)
Hello all. What are your thoughts on the subject? Searched a plethora of places and didn't find a lot of info. Do you use round stock? Or just some kind of thick wire? Is there somewhere I can pick up the ones with the wrapped wire handles?
Thanks for any and all info.
Travis.

I was going thru some of the post, I figure I could help on this one. Something I asked some time in May.

FROM LODGE:

Reba Wooden <rwooden@lodgemfg.com>

Yes, we sell bale handle for $5.00 each. You will need to call customer service at 423-837-7181 and place your order.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Thank you,

Reba Wooden
Lodge Manufacturing
423-837-7181

Hope this helps
Serge_G

KevM 09-18-2015 03:50 PM

the bail off of 5 gallon plastic pickle buckets, sheet rock buckets should work

Doug D. 09-18-2015 04:19 PM

I always understood the process to be shape the wire, then temper it, so re-shaping already-tempered wire may not be so simple. The shape at the attachment points is also different between brands, Griswold's locking feature being one example.