Cast Iron Collector Forums

Cast Iron Collector Forums (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php)
-   Recipe File (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   My baked beans recipe (http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2309)

ShawnE 06-26-2015 05:05 PM

My baked beans recipe

For a #10 Do and a lot of people

2 Lbs great northern beans
3 Lbs bacon (I'm frugal, and use ends and cutoffs)
2 medium onions rough chopped
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth
optional - 1 or 2 can(s) diced tomatoes (drained)
optional - 1/2 tsp hot sauce of your choosing

Soak beans (after checking for stones, etc) in 1 - 1 1/2 gal water overnight. Drain before adding to remaining ingredients .

Rough chop bacon and render in DO over medium heat. Midway through add onion to sweat.

After bacon is rendered, drain bacon grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook covered in oven at 250F for 8 Hrs or more (I do it overnight).

Enjoy :glutton:

RobM 06-26-2015 06:43 PM

Re: My baked beans recipe

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnE (Post 12280)

1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth

Soak beans (after checking for stones, etc) in 1 - 1 1/2 gal water overnight. Drain before adding to remaining ingredients .

Rough chop bacon and render in DO over medium heat. Midway through add onion to sweat.

After bacon is rendered, drain bacon grease. Add remaining ingredients, stir to combine, and cook covered in oven at 250F for 8 Hrs or more (I do it overnight).

Yum. but enough beans to feed an army :D

ShawnE 06-26-2015 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM (Post 12284)

Yep, but in the beginning I said:

For a #10 DO and a lot of people

Scale as necessary.

RobM 06-26-2015 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnE (Post 12285)
Yep, but in the beginning I said:

For a #10 DO and a lot of people

Scale as necessary.

Think it's beans for supper tomorrow night, fresh loaf of bread in the dutch oven to complement.

ShawnE 06-26-2015 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM (Post 12288)
Think it's beans for supper tomorrow night, fresh loaf of bread in the dutch oven to complement.

Fresh bread and beans, one of my favorites. Haven't bought bread in 15 Yrs, always make it. Simple if you have power tools.

EdgarLopez 06-26-2015 08:15 PM

When I make charra beans I add like 3 or 4 big jalapeņo pepper chopped :glutton:( do not get the dark green color those are spice) light green and bunch cilantro it gives good taste and smell good, :glutton:

Jeffrey R. 06-27-2015 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobM (Post 12284)

RobM You can freeze the baked beans. I like to make a large batch each time and freeze some, very good cold or hot.:glutton:

[SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------[/SIZE]

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnE (Post 12280)

1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup tomato paste
2 tsp salt
4 cups vegetable broth

The other baked bean recipe that I use is about the same as yours but I add.
Black Pepper, Dry Mustard, hit of Vinegar, and pinch of Ground Cloves.

You add Diced Tomatoes and Vegetable Broth, that I do not. Do not get me wrong as I like the idea of diced tomatoes. I rinse the beans then put them in the pressure cooker for around 20 - 30 minutes, Baked Beans are ready in 4 hours. I just add some of the bean water from the pressure cooker when needed. I did post my baked bean recipe a while back.

Thank you for sharing.:glutton:

RobM 06-27-2015 11:33 PM

Next weekend is a big cook. Gf's kids birthday, request made for a large DO full of homemade chili, baked beans and home made bread.

JMoss 06-28-2015 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdgarLopez (Post 12290)
When I make charra beans I add like 3 or 4 big jalapeņo pepper chopped :glutton:( do not get the dark green color those are spice) light green and bunch cilantro it gives good taste and smell good, :glutton:

How about posting that recipe Edgar? I love charro beans but don't have good recipe

ShawnE 06-29-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrey R. (Post 12314)
I rinse the beans then put them in the pressure cooker for around 20 - 30 minutes, Baked Beans are ready in 4 hours. I just add some of the bean water from the pressure cooker when needed. I did post my baked bean recipe a while back.

Thank you for sharing.:glutton:

The pressure cooker technique is a good way to reduce the time to hydrate the beans. I also happen to prefer cooking the recipe for at least 8 Hrs. I believe that this this allows the flavors to develop more fully. I have used the bean water in the past for liquid, but I believe that the veg broth adds more flavor.

Just my $0.02